- Index to Records Relating to War of 1812, Prisoners of War, 1812; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M1747, 3 rolls); Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1780’s-1917, Record Group 94; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
- Records Relating to War of 1812 Prisoners of War, 1812; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M2019, 1 roll); Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1780’s-1917; Record Group 94; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
This database contains records relating to Prisoners of War from the War of 1812. Most of the records are regarding American soldiers, but some regard civilians and British soldiers.
Records contained in this collection include:
- Lists of prisoners
- Accounts of clothing provided U.S. agents to prisoners held in Canada
- Lists of soldiers captured at a certain place or in a certain battle
- Lists of prisoners held at a certain place
- Lists of prisoners who died in captivity
- Lists of men exchanged
Each record has been assigned a manuscript number.
In addition to the actual records and manuscripts, this database also contains a set of index cards. These index cards list soldiers’ names and the manuscript numbers of the records in which they appear. These index cards are arranged in alphabetical order according to surname and are useful for locating individuals in the actual records.
In addition to the soldier’s name, his rank, company, and regiment may also be listed on the record.