This collection contains an index to rates, receipts, and payments records from Landsborough in the Sunshine Coast Region of Queensland, Australia. The following research tips have been provided by the Caloundra Family History Research Inc. Group:
"This is an index to the Landsborough Shire Records for the period 1912-1941 compiled from registers held at Queensland State Archives...The index contains approximately 57,000 entries. It is imperative to note that the registers have been 'transcribed' and not 'translated' with due care and attention taken to preserve the accuracy of each entry. Some names appear to have been misspelt, but the index entry is 'as written' in the register.
Note should be taken of the following peculiarities:
1. There may be more than one entry for a name on the same page in the register, but not every entry has been preserved in this Index. Divisions, payment and/or receipt details, howeer, for all Register records have been combined into the one Index entry.
2. Much of the transcription was made from digital images take of the register pages. All queries were checked against the original registers held at the Archives. However, human error may persist.
3. Some entries, both names and details, have been hard to decipher and due care has been taken to accurately record the information but the onus is on the researcher to check all probable entries, e.g. Lack v. Luck, Hibberd v. Hebberd.
4. Where doubt has occurred, this entry has a '?' in an adjacent column.
5. Some partnerships have been recorded (in the register) with an abbreviation for the 'second name'; these have been left 'as is', with the probable name entered in the 'Holder column' with a '?' beside it; e.g. Blocksidege and F-? Ferguson.
6. Some names have, what appear on one page to be a 'double-barrelled' surename, whilst on another page, a forename. The onus is on the researcher to check both sections for all possibilities; e.g. De Burgh Persse v. D B Persse; Nicol-Robinson v. N Robinson; E V Palmer v. E Vance Palmer.
7. Keep searching the document until the 'search' function ends, as there may be further references later in the document viz. 5&6 above. In addition, companies & neighbours made payments for others; plus a) some company names were abbreviated to initials only b) to check all possible spelling variations.
8. No Shire or Government departments have been included unless it was felt it added to the social history of the period.
9. Churches have been included for that reason.
10. In some cases, Company names have been invluded for the same reason.
11. Banks, except 'Agricultural Bank', have not been included unless 'Manager' was included in the register entry.
12. Entries for 'Queensland Trustees' and 'Public Curator' have NOT been inluded, unless they refer to a family name.
13. The index does not contain a reference to the location of the property on which rates were paid. Some of the registers held at Qld State Archives do contain a reference to the individual rate book numbers which may help further research.
Taken from "Introduction", Landsborough Shire Records - Index to Rates, Receipts and Payments 1912-1941 (electronic resource). Caloundra Family History Research Inc.
For more information, including information on Grammatical Variations captured in the transcription, use the browse functionality to view the pages found under the "1 - Help Materials and Summary of Contents" label.